By Pooja N. Gugnani
Pooja Gugnani is a Professional Organizer and Founder of Organizing With You, Inc.
As a professional organizer, I’m well aware that organizing is not always interesting and enjoyable to others as it is to me- that is why I have a job!
Recently, I’ve pondered over how I can get more clients to see a little of what I see in the beauty and benefit of organizing. And that’s when I came up with what I call- “The Fairy Tale Approach.”
Fairy tales have a way of making things seem promising and never fail to invoke optimism. The optimism that lacks in many who view organizing as a “grueling process,” something they want to simply “get through.” I realized that this much-disliked process is also a result of how disconnected we feel from our space. If we truly recognized the beauty and harmony of our dwelling and how it nurtures our life, any effort to ensure it complements us perfectly would seem well worth it.
It is important to develop the ability to open the walls of our soul to the walls of our home before investing in the physical work (organizing, remodeling, decorating) we do to our homes. Here are some of my thoughts on how you can develop that bond with your home and modify your mindset before you change your physical space:
- Be Selfish- Understand what your own needs are before addressing the needs of your home.
- Live in the Present- Think about what you need from your space Now! Organize and design your space in a way that it supports your present aspirations.
- Be Free- Feel comfortable with relying on your instincts, if you want colorful & gaudy drapes because they make you happy, then get them!
- Peace by Peace- Your ultimate goal should be deriving peace from your home. Surround yourself with objects that depict peace, and calm your inner being.
- Experiment A Little- If you want to try it out, feel free adopt a few home science tools or principles of Feng Shui. A water fountain in a corner or a wind chime can’t hurt.
- Fantasize – Think of your home as palatial and pristine, something only you’re privy to. After all this is your place where your dreams take place and sometimes come true!
You can make organizing an experience that is uplifting and peaceful, if you are willing to spend the time to get to know your surroundings a little better.